Thursday, March 22, 2007

Cultivating Fields of Abundant Compassion..


There is a cure for fear, lack, sorrow, and loneliness. It is human nature to develop a habit of routine as we move through our lives. When the day to day demands and obligations pile up, it is common to "autopilot" on life, and too much time spent in "autopilot" is really not good for our senses.. The solution is in finding a stillness to reset our vital connection and creativity. To reconnect to that essence of life that cultivates fields of abundant compassion.

While I aspire to living with character and inspiration, I fall short when leaning on my old familiar autopilot habits. Things go better when I am able to "roll with it" finding and appreciating the flow of life, choosing to accept life on life's terms, and appreciating the glorious moments on the path.

Okay, while indulgent to compare, and fun to amuse myself with how hard I have it, the real story is not in the difficulty of our travels, or even how far we have come, but how we have lived this moment. Now we look at Mother Teresa, the Pope, and the Dalai Lama as beings of high grace and compassion. I joke with myself that it would be easier for me to become a being of higher grace and compassion if I did not have the incredibly close family, friends, community, work and relationships that caused me to deviate from that path... Show me a Mother Teresa with 2 young kids a corporate job, and a list of obligations, and show me how they make those decisions WITH the obligations they have. Given there is an alternative, even a choice to living a life of service either way, but this is clearly the most colorful expression of my personality, to be a Type A personality, trying to become the best mom she can.

What of this Cultivating Fields of Abundant Compassion? I envision stumbling upon a field of lavendar-- an herb I adore, growing in the wild and I enjoy both appearance and in fragrance. What creates such an expanse of color-- the explosion of lavender and green, the sophisticated, and relaxed fragrance whispering on the air. We see the flower, sense the fragrance, and touch the fields border-- our senses satiated with the experience of connectedness to this expansive moment.

What makes this field is a seed, time, soil, organics, sun, rain, the elements all in favor of helping this field to grow, to multiply, and to offer itself to the universe. The field is not just the flowers, it is the flowers connectedness to the earth. It is the roots that reach through the earth and gain nutrients from the soil, and precipitation from the sky. It is the sun that heats the seed and the combination of nature and nuture causes growth!

How different are we really? Are we not all part of a common field, similar elements of nature, of earth, of weaknesses and capacity? What can we do then to cultivate fields of abundant compassion?
  • Be willing to stop being to busy to live in this moment!
  • Appreciate beauty and take time to wonder as you wander.
  • Cultivate growth-- spread love. Most things living, thrive on appreciation and love?
  • Rain happens, it is part of the cycle, as is Sun.. Balance takes care of itself, if we stay out of the way.

No comments: