Friday, January 26, 2007

In Memory.. Uncle Jim..

James Q. Cook : Born December 4, 1919. Died January 25, 2007.

I never saw him during his long struggle with Alzheimer's.
I remember the man who's face lit up when talking about anything sports!

I remembered when I found with delight introducing my husband, Kevin to Uncle Jim, because the two of them had great fun being encyclopedias of their sports knowledge.

I remember about 15 Christmas Eves at Grandpa Lopeman's house, with the whole family-- Great Grandpa Lopeman, His children, their children and their children's children all hanging out in the basement, the place where all Grandpa's big parties were held.

I remember John Todd making us laugh so hard we would get in trouble for being too wound up. John, I know you are John, but I can't stop the "Todd" from tumbling out to this day.

I remember so many other things that made growing up knowing family and extended family well worth knowing.. I remember family and appreciate those memories greatly. At the moment it just seems like a party, in the years that follow, it becomes a golden memory treasured for the "simpler" times they represent.

We are all grown, with families all over the United States now, but I still remember the excitement and joy that represented Christmas with family and family and family. :D

Rest in peace, Uncle Jim.

No comments: